Hong Kong at a Glance
- Gross National Income (GNI) Per Capita, in USD**: $36,560
- Our daily costs for two people: $125.17
- Size: 426 square miles (about the size of New York City)
- Population: 7.2 million people
- Population Density: 17,024 people per square mile
- Government Type: Complicated. Hong Kong is a SAR of China, from which it is financially independent. China is responsible for Hong Kong’s defense and foreign affairs, but Hong Kong’s Chief Executive is responsible for their governance.
- *Hong Kong was not included as part of the 2012 Global Gender Gap Report.
- **GNI is based on the Atlas Method from the World Bank.